My new/old coffee table

Last summer my cousin's husband, Joe, ran across a mother load of old factory carts sitting out in a lot in our hometown.  They were all in pretty bad shape, but he was able to purchase a couple at a great price.  After showing me his deals, I immediately ran over to this lot to pick one up for myself.  Alas, the owner decided that he didn't want to part with any more of his carts for the price that my cousin paid.  He had raised the price 5 fold.  Feeling quite disappointed, I just couldn't dig that deep into my pocket for something that I would have to completely restore, I returned home with no cart.

 A few days later, I went out my back door to find this cart.
Joe to the rescue!
The picture doesn't do the paint color justice.
It wasn't blue, it was florescent blue.


Despite my protests that he should not feel obliged to share his luck with me, he insisted.
The cart sat in our garage collecting assorted piles of stuff for several months. A couple of weeks ago, I  decided it was about time to talk our friend, Phillip, into sandblasting the metal parts for me.  He and my husband, Steve, took the whole thing apart and sandblasted it, put it back together and Steve sprayed the metal parts with a sealer.  I sanded and varnished the wood.  And the family room is now graced with my new/old favorite piece of furniture.  I can't take the credit for the idea of using this old cart for a coffee table, but if you click right here, you will see the very pricey inspiration.  Needless to say, my version ended up costing  . . . .  well let's just say, if you move the decimal point over to the left 2 digits, you will get the idea.

Thanks Joe, Phillip and Steve.
I am thrilled with my new coffee table.

10 comments:

  1. Wow! It's beautiful! I love all the quilted things in the background as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your coffee table is interesting. I love all your quilting decor, especially that quilt on the wall!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it. Something about the old/new thing that gets me. Like they say, one man's junk, another man's treasure. You've got a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's wonderful! I like it much better than the one in the catalog. Plus, it's a great story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. that is awesome. ya'all did a great job with it and it's so cool there in your living room. love seeing the decor!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mary, I love your new table. This one requires no coffee table book as it has it's own story to tell!
    I have a thing about old tables too. The sad story is that I never end up refinishing the tables I buy! You have inspired me to take another look at all of them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. that is lovely I would be thrilled also ,and it looks just like the one over at the other place selling at a nice sum,enjoy your new coffee table .

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mary that is one serious coffee table! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i just adore this coffee table! just the sort of thing i would have done (though perhaps without the glass...the saint bernard seems to think she only weighs 3 pounds and would probably claim it as her bed so that she could scare piper with an unexpected view while he's hiding beneath it)!

    ReplyDelete

Any and all comments are most appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to view, read, and voice your thoughts.