it has been a vanilla week

Monday   
Tuesday


Friday


sample of a quilted block    



Finding that linen, linen/cotton blend and linen/rayon blend fabrics tend to be a bit slippery, I am happy that I decided to begin this project in the quilt as you go manner.  Also finding also no matter that I cut several the blocks the same size, once they are pressed and quilted, they are no longer the same size.  So the remaining blocks, or about half of them are just random sizes. That makes for more challenges, as in how to connect all the blocks nicely.  Hopefully I will be able to vary the joining strips to accommodate the size differences, using some of my bits o' color strips.  And hopefully makes for a more interesting design. 

As I was quilting the blocks, with absolutely no preplanned idea of what I would be doing from minute to minute, it dawned on me, that it had the feel of American Indian piecework designs.  Or so it feels to me.  Which led me back to my original inspiration, which I had  forgotten all about.  It was a Pendleton blanket that my daughter had posted on her website,  
as a nice Christmas gift for someone special.  
If you check out that blanket you will see 
colored stripes on an off white background.  

And now I am ready for chocolate, strawberry, peach, lemon, lime, pineapple. . . .

ANYTHING  WITH COLOR!

Hope you have a weekend full of sunshine and color.

10 comments:

  1. It's looking really good...are you all neutraled out yet?? I like the quilting you have done so far. I square up the blocks to a consistent size after I quilt them..it really helps with the joining.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this quilt! can't wait to see it finished!
    I have linen/cotton fabric it's great to work with.
    Do you mind if I try to make a quilt like this?
    mind you ~ i said try :)) for me, the wavy blocks are so very hard to make. do you know if there is a tutorial for piecing wavy lines?
    again just fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love this quilt! The quilting shows up so nicely. I love the randomness and the elegance, all at the same time. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your Vanilla week!
    It is fascinating to read about your discovery with the size of blocks. So much to learn through the process!
    Your gorgeous machine quilting patterns will have a perfect canvas.
    Now, I am curious to see what you do next!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a beautiful peaceful quilt, I could look at it for a real long time. The quilting actually enhances your design.I think working with neutrals is hard, you made it look easy! I would love to see a tutorial on this as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the look of this piece. The quilting looks great also.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for all the great comments. Debbie, since you are set up as no-reply, I couldn't send you an e-mail to answer your question. For a super tut on curved piecing I suggest that you check out Victoria's blog ~ http://bumblebeansinc.blogspot.com/2009/10/ready-set-sew.html.

    And just so you know, I am flattered that you would like to make a quilt like mine. Go girl and have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wait, what happened to those little color strips? I love those! (Vanilla's never been my flavor!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for all the info.
    I will have to check my email.....new to this blogging :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your vanilla piece is just stunning.. very interesting process. I just got inspired to pull out my neutrals!

    ReplyDelete

Any and all comments are most appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to view, read, and voice your thoughts.