Shakerag

I've done it now!  
I am going to Shakerag next June to spend 
a week with the inimitable Nancy Crow

This idyllic area is only a little more than an hour's drive from my home.  
So why not, I say.  Feed the soul, feed the creative forces within,
not to mention the exquisitely prepared
home grown, organic delights to feed the stomach.



I can't say when I've been more excited, except for week that I spent in the
presence of Ms. Ruth McDowell a few years ago.  
I must admit, that I was somewhat terrified after I signed up for the workshop with Ruth, so I spent months making samples and learning her techniques from her books
before I left for the workshop.  
I wanted to be prepared, you see.  




What began in this workshop was another bloom

I came home so full of self confidence that
I beat my all time recorded for completing a quilt.

This type of design and structure is my passion.   It is my own original design from start to finish with encouragement and assistance from Ruth in beginning a pattern. Rather than telling me what and how, she quietly guided me in the direction that I wanted to go and gave me more self confidence in myself that anyone had previously done.

So, now, I find myself yearning to broaden my field a bit.  I've never been comfortable working with solids and geometrics, other than coping other quilts.
Or making simple pillow tops.



I want to do grand abstract art quilts and simplifying does not come easily to me on that scale.  I am eager to learn and next June seems so far away.  But then Mama always said, the older you get the faster time flies.  And I've got lots of hand dyeing to do and lots of practice to do before next June.
I better start shaking 

12 comments:

  1. Be prepared??? I think you could have taught the class! How fun. I love taking classes with other creative types. I know June seems far off, but time will fly and I can't wait to see what the next adventure brings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. I found your blog through Melody's. Congrats on your commitment. Nancy is a wonderful and most generous teacher. She pushes hard because she wants you to LEARN and boy does she have an awful lot to offer. Relax and have fun. One word of advice - I learned after my first workshop with Nancy not to be paralyzed by the blank design wall. Just throw something up to get yourself started and don't be invested in making a great piece of art in a workshop - it almost never happens. Enjoy the ride!
    -Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woowoo! I am grinding my teeth with envy, but very happy for you. It is good for us too, as we will see the result of this workshop.
    June is just around the corner!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wowser! Love those flower quilts! Knocked my socks off :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! To see what you made BEFORE the RM workshop and then in it. I can't wait to see what you'll do BEFORE the NC workshop. You've got guts, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  6. As always you are so creative...I hope some of it rubs off on me when we are together at a meeting or something. My mama said the same thing about time and "now" I have to agree with her. Enjoy, it will be here soon. Bren

    ReplyDelete
  7. JEALOUS! Oh my, but you are going to have a great time. I can't wait to see what you make afterward.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am green with envy. Her work is so interesting. I am sure yours will be quite wonderful. The time will fly, I am sure.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's wonderful how opened you are to learn new things.
    And the process you use in your quilts is completely stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wish I was coming along too! I love your pillows, and of cours all your flower quilts too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This will be fun watching you prepare for the Nancy week. I wanna play too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful use of fabric and color in you RBMc quilts. Amazing work! Good luck with solids. They are hard for those of us who are texture freaks.

    ReplyDelete

Any and all comments are most appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to view, read, and voice your thoughts.