more on my log cabin with posies

At the requests of a few nice folks, I am going to post a few more pictures and details of Ms. Posy.  
Someone asked if I would show some close ups of the flowers.  It just so happens that I have a couple of
in progress pictures from my design wall.

I began by making log cabin flowers.


These began with an approximately 1 1/4 inch hexagon center snipped with scissors and no pattern.  I sewed 1 to 1/ 1/2 inch strips of fabric around the hexagon.  These posies ended up as hexagons, heptagons, and octagons approximately 4 to 6 1/2 inches in size.



For these particular posies, I began by freely cutting ,with my scissors, a hexagon approximately 2 inches x 1 1/4 inches.  More or less.  Because with no rulers or patterns each hexagon will be slightly different in size and shape.   I then cut various sized wedges ranging in size from 4 inches to 1 inch.  Again, more or less.    Choosing 2 to 5 wedges, I sewed them together, to have "petals" to the approximate size of one of the sides of the hexagon center.   Then I was able to stitch them onto one side of the hexagon of corresponding size.
 I continued this process until I was happy with the design/shape of the posy.  
I had so much fun with these, I wanted to experiment with a few more types as well as leaves









  Here is a collage of several as they look in the completed quilt.  All stitched down with free motion zig zag style, raw edges, a bit ravely once washed.



Someone else asked about sizes of the log cabins in the border.
I took my cue from the background in it's original state


 Realizing that I have very loosely interpreted the traditional log cabin block, I can only say I made them in sizes ranging from  7" x  6 " to   9" x 12 ".
 These were then trimmed to fit the finished width of the border which is
6 inches wide .



Again, it was fantastic fun.  I can't say which parts of this quilt I had more fun playing with.  I can say, in readdressing this process, I am inspired to make another spontaneous, unstructured,
flying by the seat of my pants, no holds barred, sunshine day.

And it just so happens that I have a background all pieced up and waiting in the wings for splashes of color.

Have a weekend full of sun and fun, y'all.

17 comments:

  1. STUNNING!!! the first was fabulous! now another! go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your posies are beautiful, I love them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...I'm sort of speechless...sort of,but not quite. There was just soooo much in that post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! You are amazing. Absolutely amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous, funky flowers! Love 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your instructions. I want to play along! That background piece is amazing. Can't believe you're going to cover it. But I'm sure it will be wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for inspiration and instructions. Quilting is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're havin' fun! I can tell!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mary,
    Your new background looks truly amazing!
    Your quilting is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The colours and ideas in this post are awesome. I can't imagine what you are going to do next.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The posies are stunning! The log cabins are wonderful! and that last picture, I just have no words! It is clear that you are having a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks so much! Loved hearing how you created your posies, and the one in the wings...when I scrolled down to that photo, I said "holy cow" out loud in my cube!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This background is amazing1 Are you really going to cover it? I love it just the way it is...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I LOVE flowers - and yours are GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  15. AnonymousMay 28, 2011

    I just found you. Thank you for the directions. This looks fabulous! I can't wait to try making my version.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Since you have posted a comment as "Anonymous" and are set at no reply, I will thank you here. And also say you are welcome. I hope you will made yourself known (if you like) and show us all your version one day.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those flowers are just beautiful...and the 'background' is amazing...like Nifty, I can't believe you're going to cover it!!

    ReplyDelete

Any and all comments are most appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to view, read, and voice your thoughts.