a long and winding road

Just when you think that you can take a deep breath, things are all under control and you will have time to spend doing the things that you enjoy, it all comes crashing down.  I, personally, have good news to report for most of my family and friends.  But there are so many not so lucky.   I have found pieces of homes and family possessions scattered over my yard and neighborhood from the horrific storms of April 27, 2011.

 My son's yard in the Chattanooga area. 
He was one of the lucky ones.




 my favorite quilt shop 
Sew Bee It
Ringgold, Georgia
not so lucky


You can view more pictures of destruction in this area
by clicking here if you are inclined
My great friend, Martha Steele, has been helping in salvaging as much as possible and was able to recover many of the quilts hanging in the shop, including one of mine. Many of the ladies, along with Martha,who are employed by the shop owner, Gloria Black, have dug in and begun helping her to recover whatever is possible in the shop.  They are also pitching in to assist the rest of their town, which was almost totally destroyed.

I know that quilts are not a priority in this time of crisis.  However, it is just a small indication of how all of the surrounding areas in southeast Tennessee, northwest Georgia as well as Alabama, Mississippi, and other parts of the south have joined together to help one another and begin the long process of restoring, healing, and recovering. 
Please keep everyone in your heart.  It will be a long road ahead.


16 comments:

  1. What a tragedy of epic proportions these storms have wreaked. I'm so glad your family is safe, and I'm sorry for your friend's loss in her quilt shop. Times like these do bring out the best in most people and it's great to hear stories of people helping friends and strangers get through it all. All the best to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Makes my heart hurt. 8-(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you and your family are safe......the devastation is unbelievable. We had a terrible tornado come through our city years ago and none of us have ever forgotten that tragedy. We are thinking of those that lost so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. such heart wrenching devastation - I am so glad that you and yours were lucky, but my heart goes out to so many who were not. Let us pray that that is the end of the storms for quite some time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hugs and prayers!
    Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh you poor dear.......I don't know how you ever posted on your blog I think I would still be shaking!
    thanks goodness you survived and yes we will keep you all in our prayers.

    My brother lives in Birmingham and escaped unharmed too.

    Take care

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never seen a photo like the one of your son's backyard. It strikes me speechless. I'm so glad you and your family are safe, and that the communities are pulling together in such a loving way. My heart goes out to all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i'm keeping you all in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thinking of all of you...sending positive thoughts of peace and strength.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That picture is unbelievable! I will say prayers for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks to all for your kind thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't believe what I see! I'm so sad and happy at the same time, because nothing hapened to you and your family...

    My heart is with you...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, those photos are unbelievable. My heart goes out to you and your community.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh!! This really puts any minor problems into perspective...will keep you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  15. AnonymousMay 11, 2011

    These pictures are frightening, they show the total devastation that hit so badly the South of your country. I keep you and others in my prayers. Thinking of you and all those who are homeless and who lost loved ones.

    ReplyDelete
  16. WOW...what a picture!!! It sure shows you the strength of wind~

    ReplyDelete

Any and all comments are most appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to view, read, and voice your thoughts.