TGIF

Thank god it's Friday.
Although when you are retired, every day is Friday. Well, almost everyday, some days are not so Fridayish, some days it seems as if I need to get an outside of the home, paying job for a bit of relief.  Nah, not gonna happen anytime soon.

Let me start over:
Thank god it's finished:



I think that I actually had more trouble photographing Vanilla Bean, that I did working with a  neutrally colored design.  Forty odd shots later, this is the best I could do.


The quilt as you go method was so, so cool.  It was almost a shock to realize that once it was all stitched together, it was completed except for stitching on the binding.  I am so hooked on this technique.  "Beanie" finished up to a whopping 68" X 82". 
What began as playing around with linen scraps left over from making slacks, jackets, blouses, along with all types of scraps of batting,
resulted in a lovely coverlet for someone's bed.  Probably not my bed, alas, 
as Miss Annie-cat's claws would reek havoc with the coarse, linen weave.

The QAYG method easily allows for straight stitching feed dogs up style.  Which is what I did with Beanie, since there is no way I can stitch a straight line free motion style.  But now that I have gotten this under my belt, why not try a bit of free motion quilting on the next piece. 


 
  Got this Fresh Modern style piece in the works, which I had originally planned to straight stitch.  However, it just seemed to be asking for a curly, loopy design and off I go. Best laid plans never seen to work for me.  Nothing could be easier than free motion quilting on a piece that is only 12" to 15" in width.  Even though it is 62" in length, it is much more easily manipulated under Juki. In no time at all I've gotten one panel all quilted up.  Great practice for my free motion skills.


Only four panels to go, add the QAYG border, and voila', instant quilt.  Let me tell you folks, I am sold on this.  In case you missed my previous post on what I am talking about, and you have an interest in giving this a go, jump over to The Quilting Edge.  
Marianne has the best tutorial on how to. 
It's the weekend, go have some fun! 





16 comments:

  1. Woohoo, congrats on the finish. why should Beanie be any easier to photograph than it was for you to do it all neutral? You make this technique look so easy... but you still have to put all those boogers together! lovely quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vanilla Bean looks wonderful! I'm going to check out the QAYG method. Thanks for the link to the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeehaa!!! I love that Vanilla Bean, and like the picture with the bricks. The quilt came up really gorgeous. Calm, modern, beautiful. Did I already say I like it?
    The one in the making is getting there, too, I think I am going to like it.
    I have never tried the quilt as you go technique, it may be something to test.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vanilla Bean is really beautiful, definitely one of my all-time favorite quilts! You've just about got me sold on the QAYG method.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the Vanilla Bean quilt so much:) I need to learn the QAYG method. Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The quilt looks fantastic....see how addictive the QAYG stuff can be. I'm loving the new one too. Thanks for the mention again.

    I wonder if it was harder to photograph because it's so neutral....hmm interesting. You did a great job though. I'm still not ready to tackle a monochromatic project. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Vanilla Bean looks spectacular!! The quilting is wondeful. I have done this with small blocks, but need to try your method.

    I love your free motion quilting too! Just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maybe it was the time of day? Maybe lighting on "Beanie" would be better with the magic morning light?
    I love it anyway!!! 8-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. gulp.
    Wonderful quilting on both and I love the new strippy piece as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beanie looks beautiful...like hand woven silks..You did an amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love Vanilla Bean!! Last year my DH and I painted most of the house (inside) cream and white and I just love the "quietness" of it. I've added splashes of color to each room to add some interest but I'm perfectly content with my neutral choice...for now.

    I like the stripe you're working on. I just can't get the hang of FMQ :( I used the tutorial to "experiment" with a small quilt. It worked great! Thanks for suggesting her tute.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love Vanilla Bean! The quilting is just gorgeous, and thank you so much to the link to Marianne's blog - I think I'm going to be hooked! The mystery of the joining of the blocks is now gone! I love your new strippy quilt as well, and it being National quilting day, I can't wait to get back from running errands this morning and get sat down in front of my machine.

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are wonderful....Vanilla Bean is just beautiful and I love the new strippy quilt you are working on!
    I must try this QAYG method. I worry about the final putting together, so will have to check out those links carefully. It is still a mystery to me....

    Jacky xox

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mary it is soooo beautiful. The quilting adds such an amazing texture and I think the name is perfect. Hooray you are done!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats for the finished quilt! As I said before, it looks amazing... Even the photos are good. It's really difficult to take pictures of whites, vanillas...
    Thank you for the way you share your ideas and your new projects. It encourages me to try new technics.

    ReplyDelete
  16. WoWWW!!!
    I really love Vanilla Bean!!!!
    Congrats...I think I'll take inspiration....so great!!!
    Grazia

    ReplyDelete

Any and all comments are most appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to view, read, and voice your thoughts.