And the winner is

I have arranged and rearranged and then rearranged again.  Trying to find the right balance.  It is difficult for me to do when playing with monochromatic neutrals.  I settled on this layout.  But to add color or not to add color.  I do so love to play with color and pattern. 
One suggestion I received, during the agony of trying to decide whether to add color or not to add color, came from Sujata.  Why not try adding some delicate saffron slivers rather than the strips with the tiny bits of colors. I loved this thought.  As I tried playing around with this idea, the light bulb went from 75 watt to 150 watt.  This piece does not need any color.  What was I thinking?  Each block is quilted in it's own pattern, as if it were a separate piece of fabric.  It needs no more than that.  She had gently led me back to my original thought, which was a soft, neutral quilt.  Thank you Sujata.  Isn't it wonderful to have so many good friends to help you find your way back home? 





And VANILLA BEAN it is
 


Joining the individual blocks were a breeze.  Joining the longer strips of blocks, not so easy.  Well, the joining part was easy. I did enjoy  the challenge of hiding the joining strips. And the challenge of fitting all the odd sized blocks together.   Since there is no busy pattern to hide the strips, I didn't want them to be in your face.   
Guess you can still pick them out, but hopefully I've made it a bit tricky to see. 
Now you've got to quilt these joining strips and that involves more manipulating.  But then, it still beats quilting the whole quilt.  I could get used to this. 
I could have this whole thing completed by next week, if I stick to it.  

But there is this other project that I keeps asking for rearrangement.  She provides a nice break when I begin to be a bit twitchy from sewing straight lines and cramming all that linen under the sewing machine throat.  Here is what she is feeling like today. 



What does she make you think of?  
Hopefully not a Las Vegas showgirl's head dress. 
We'll she how she feels tomorrow.


20 comments:

  1. I applaud your sticking with the neutral theme. I guess it would be a good exercise for all of us color lovers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LUV, LUV, LUV your Vanilla Bean!!! 8-) And your peacock looks like the NBC bird! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vanilla Bean is fabulous! As for the second, peacock?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary,
    Your quilt looks beautiful, classy and elegant! I wish I could see this one in person someday. Your quilting is amazing. Wish I was as talented!
    The peacock is looking gorgeous.. All I can say is, WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  5. AMAZING!!!! Sujata is a wonderful friend to have for advisement and I love Vanilla Bean! Your blog continues to inspire me day after day!!! Love you sweetie, Em

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the contrast in the two quilts you are working on - almost opposites in using visual effects.
    The softness and elegance in Vanilla Bean and the eye-catching show of the Peacock. Both very pretty!
    It was very interesting follow your design decisions on Vanilla Bean. Thank you for sharing all of it with us...
    ; )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Vanilla Bean is gorgeous. simple, elegant and beautiful. I'm so incredibly impressed by HOW you did all the quilting and the putting it together - astounding!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your Vanilla Bean!!! The quilting is amazing.
    Your peacock is looking fabulous too. I just love that green and blue together.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I ♥ both your quilts! Vanilla Bean came out fabulous!
    Happy Sewing :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Vanilla Bean is a perfect name and so is your quilt! Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Vanilla Bean is just gorgeous, and one of my all-time favorite quilts!! Just the right amount of straight lines and curved, vertical and horizontal. I could look at it all day. Your peacock is shaping up nicely too! You are amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love Vanilla Bean, the name and the quilt. Good choice not to add color. It is perfect. Your Peacock is wonderful...a bit like a showgirl but that's what a Peacock is all about, right?!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your Vanilla Bean. Neutrals had been my idea for the Monochrome Challenge, but it slipped to the wayside. It would have been a pale comparison to yours--joke intended!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I wanted the colored confetti out; but knew you would see that too. It's hard to give up parts and pieces that took time, effort, and energy to make. They can sing and dance another day.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks to you all! I appreciate all of the comments and suggestions. I must learn to leave well enough alone. Now that I have almost completed one monos, I just may have to play with another in my grays. After I play with some bright colors for a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well done! I can't believe how you joined all the blocks without noticing the stripes. And the quilting is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! Vanilla Bean is a stunning quilt. I love all the different quilt patterns you used on the blocks. The choice to leave colors out was a good one. I also love the peacock. It reminds me of being on my sister's old farm where the peacocks roamed freely and were pretty friendly.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Vanilla Bean is wonderful and just as beautiful in person. I was lucky enough to meet it in person today and truly a delicious of art.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh I love the brightful cheeryness of the peacock.....

    ReplyDelete

Any and all comments are most appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to view, read, and voice your thoughts.