Everchanging

Back from my whirlwind trip to Italy, full of new ideas, sensory overload, unable to settle down and start something new (well, sorta). I committed, (yet again) to get some pieces finished.  So stick a fork in 'er, she's done!  44" x 68" of heavy quilting.  





This old gravel road is long gone.  
I had taken lots of photos before everything changed on the farm and chose to document some of my memories in fabric.  A sign of changing times, new roads to be traveled, out with the old, in with the new, 
you get my drift.  

So, since I am not able to totally commit to machine quilting for hours on end, I did play around with some more ideas on the side.  
A couple of months ago, I got waylaid by 3/4" hexies.  Hundreds of hexies later, and several design idea changes, I am hand piecing (gasp) in a semi improv fashion.  I think I will call it "secret garden".
currently approximately 33" x 30ish and growing.

And then, there's the boxes of solids strips still hanging around from the Nancy Crow workshop last year.  Cannot seem to get them out of my system.  As if I don't use them, it will be a total waste.  Time to change that thought, doncha think?  Oh well, I did have a flashback idea as I was digging through those boxes waiting for something brilliant to happen.  The sights of Venice, Pisa, Sienna, Florence, Rome worked it's way into this.

the colors are not showing up correctly on my computer ,
(read terribly off),  so


I thought it might be a good idea to change it to gray tones to see how
 the design and values are working.
yet to be determined.

The ideas are still flowing.  Maybe I can stick to one of these for a finish before I begin another.  hahahahahahahaha

14 comments:

  1. Wow Mary have you been busy!!
    Well all I can say is I love every piece in this post and your 3/4" hexies are amazing.
    I think my favourite today is your first piece in the post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mary,

    You captured the light so beautifully in this tree piece. I enjoy your work.
    Have a great summer,
    LuAnn in Oregon
    luannkessi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love every one of these!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your work is always wonderful, these three pieces are no different. I love the quilt of your no longer gravel road and such a great idea to quilt those memories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my....lots if inspiration going on. I love it all, Mary, but those stripes make my heart sing, no surprise there, right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my! You never cease to amaze me with your new and brilliant works. I love them all!! Your memory quilt is absolutely beautiful, and so YOU. Well, they're all so you. I've never seen hexies done in such an exciting way. And your strip/trip piece is absolutely gorgeous! I couldn't pick a favorite if I tried. Bravo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Maybe I can stick to one of these for a finish before I begin another."

    Yeah, good luck with THAT theory, sewsister! We all know how it goes when our heads are full of ideas that have yet to see the light. Something's gotta give - right?

    I think having many 'in process' pieces is a clue to brilliance. At least, that's how I choose to see it, otherwise I couldn't live with myself. My brilliance needs to ooze out or I would explode trying to keep it all in order.

    Glad you went abroad - Italy will haunt you forever (in a good way).

    ReplyDelete
  8. wheee, all sorts of loveliness. those hexies is crazy small!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Enjoy the process and the journey!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your work is so varied and always worth seeing. I love your "Old gravel road" quilt, that is something that looks really difficult to make. Ah! - you've got the hex addiction! - just make one more..... And your last quilt is gorgeous too, I don't know what the actual colours might be, but your design is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i love how the heavy quilting is bringing everything to life! It always amazes me, that.
    your hexie project is intriguing. Secret garden seems an apt title. I can see little flowers emerging here and there.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I guess working "every six ways for Sunday" is paying off....beautiful work! xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm especially drawn to your solid strips piece. I had a book or two of Nancy Crow's from the library years ago when I was first discovering quilting and it was inspirational. A workshop with her would be fantastic I imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your tree!! Very abstract! Elizabeth would agree!!

    ReplyDelete

Any and all comments are most appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to view, read, and voice your thoughts.