Free for All


Sometimes I just must take a break from free motion quilting and the piecing of tiny, intricate curvy slivers of fabric.  So, I started a list of projects that have been on the back burner for far too long.   Several of the projects are free for all pieced blocks intended for some of my family members.  I can intermittently play with basket full of scraps rather than spending my time on non productive activities.  If ya know what I mean.

These blocks are for a young great nephew who, despite living in the middle of Big Orange University of Tennessee football land, prefers to cheer for the arch rival, University of Florida. Okay, so UF colors are orange and blue.  UT colors are orange and white.  I began with orange and blue four patch for the centers.  Next I pulled random strips of solids for the basket and started sewing them on in a sorta log cabin rotation.  A few times I might forget which comes next in the rotation and haphazardly sew a strip wherever it happens to land.  It's a free for all fun way to brighten up a rainy day.

Oh, and just in case he might change his mind one of these days, (or earn a scholarship to UT) I began to throw in some bits of white near that orange.  We won't mention that fact to him, so mums the word.  Hmmmmm - note to self - add more white...........

7 comments:

  1. What a great quilt....I love the controlled sort of randomness of it. Great colours and the solid colours work so well.

    Must be fun making this one!

    Jacky xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Controlled randomness! I love how Jackie put it perfectly. I call it Organized Chaos. Love it either way you describe it. He is one lucky guy, no matter where he ends up as long as this quilt lands on his lap!
    Definite yes to more white.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea for a guy quilt! Your color selection--brights combined with neutrals is brilliant, as always for you. Really inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your color combinations and who wouldn't love this quilt?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this free for all technique. And, yes, more white would be great. adds alot of light to the piece.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks like great fun, lucky nephew!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Never saw orange and blue looking happier!

    ReplyDelete

Any and all comments are most appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to view, read, and voice your thoughts.