June 10 is Almost Here

No, no, it's not my birthday, or anniversary, or a new national holiday.  But it will be a holiday of sorts for me.  I am off to Shakerag in Sewanee, TN for a 5 day workshop with Nancy Crow.   This is something I have wanted to do for years and at last, the time is about to arrive.  I've been dyeing and buying solid fabrics for months.  It seems that I will never have enough of the right values and colors, but perhaps I am likely a bit OCD on that issue, as my friends have hinted.  On the other hand, as Nancy says, you can never have enough fabrics.  Or is that what I say?  What about you?  Can you ever have enough of the perfect shade, tint, hue, color, solids,prints, plaids, stripes? So, thus far I have 7 plastic tubs of fabric.  Here's a couple of the tubs:



That doesn't include the high contrast print/stripe/plaid/dot fabrics.  Or the 4 yards of white and 4 yards of black.  That is in tub 8.  And mind you these are substantial tubs.  I won't release the plastic tub measurements, because then everyone will know that I am, indeed, OCD.  

I've made many improvisational quilts in the past, using a multitude of prints as well as some small projects using solids - as with pillows.  But can I do a beautiful composition on a large scale?  Scary scary scary.  In readying myself for this experience, I have been playing around with solids, just to see if I can remember how to start from scratch, without a pattern. Using mostly shot cottons, I began cutting and sewing.
Sketch One  11 x 14

Sketch Two  11 x 17
Okay, I started from scratch, but these are little ones.  Sketches a la Gwen Marston.  And there are no parameters, no rules except that all fabric must be solids.  Jump in and go for it.  Abstract. What is abstract and what does it really mean? 

Ah, well.  So, meanwhile, I have been multitasking in my studio I must admit.  But then, who doesn't these days?  I am quilting, still, on the dogwood quilt.  All the while thinking of abstract design.  Pictures coming soon.


I completed the Friends Shirts Quilt.  Footloose, no rules, no matchy-matchy points, all fancy free piecing. Perfect for practicing some traditional machine quilting with feathers and all that stuff.   All washed up and cuddly.  It will be my blanket of choice for my week on Monteagle Mountain.  Taking my friends along, as it were.




































I also began working on my homework assignment # 5 from Lorraine Torrence's book, Fearless Design for Every Quilter.   The assignment, if I choose to accept it, (sorry) design a simple, well balanced composition as a line drawing and interpret the composition in 8 color schemes.  

"turn a blind eye and a deaf ear" achromatic

"turn a blind eye and a deaf ear" monochromatic
Only 6 more color combinations to go.  

Lorraine's homework projects have been much more challenging that I had thought they would be.  I discovered that I do not like being forced to follow the rules. Rules are so limiting.  But then, momma always said there was a reason for them.  To make you stretch and learn.  Yet, my secret self has been revealed.  Deep down, I honestly do not like much structure in most things. I have spent my life trying to conform, fit the mold, and follow the rules. At age ## I am so OVER IT. Rules are good for some things, but not so good for other things.  Ya think?

What is that going to do to me at the upcoming workshop?  Okay, so I must remember the reason I wanted to take this workshop with Nancy. Following her guidelines and be disciplined, because I want to learn more about art, composition, to stretch myself as much as possible, to dig deeper and find out more about myself.  Wish me luck. 


12 comments:

  1. Mary you are going to have such a good time! I agree sometimes rules are good and sometimes not so good.
    I love that last stack of fabrics!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh those fabrics are a delight...I love the tubs with all of the different tonal values (fabric envy here!) and I agree with you and/or Nancy, you can never have too much fabric. No matter how much you have, you're always looking for that 'perfect' piece.

    Have fun at your workshop with Nancy, I look forward to seeing what you work on.

    Jacky xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! You have been busy making magic. I love your abstracts. But the "Friendship Stars" are my favorite. Good memories there. I'm so happy you'll take us along with you. It may be the closest I ever get to Nancy Crow! You are well prepared with all of your wonderful fabrics. Have a great time!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your tubs of colour, they are wonderful! I can't wait to hear how you like the class and what you learn. I also love those little sketches and your stars.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you've been so busy Mary. I love your fabric and I love everything you've been working on...amazing.

    I can't wait to hear all about the workshop....have a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have a wonderful time being challenged and also bringing your gift to the class, YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish you good luck only because you asked. Looking at your work and knowing you, I don't think you need any. I love your friendship quilt. So warm! Little sketches are beautiful. The new series looks amazing too.
    Can't wait to see the pictures of the Dogwood quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Mary. Beautiful fabric--I agree, one can never have too much. Didn't realize you were back to blogging so I had to read back a bit. Enjoyed your Gees Bend/ Alabama exploits. I also had a first hand account from Bonnie when I visited her in Oregon. Your flower quilt is a knock-out--it took my breath away! I think I want to do one too!
    best, nadia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Eagerly awaiting your report on the workshop.....!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your pieces, but maybe just a bit OCD with the fabric--wow. Those bins are impressive. Hope the workshop was equally so. TES

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like your Friends Shirt's quilt. Nice and bright.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like your Friends Shirt's quilt. Nice and bright.

    ReplyDelete

Any and all comments are most appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to view, read, and voice your thoughts.