Who's to say




Maybe I should entitle this post 
Venus and Mars
or
 man and woman
or
night and day
or
positive and negitive
or
back and front
or
to and fro
or
right and wrong
or
left and right
or
opposites attract
or
 need I continue?

I like the last one best.  Occasionally opposites do attract.
Well to my mind, it worked this time.

so here it is:
Selveges inspired front


Mandingo inspired backing


In any case, I have finished a king sized bed quilt as you go.  And my wrestling days are over, let me tell you. Marianne's QAYG method is fabulous, but I won't be doing another king bed size quilt in my life time.   Call me lazy, call me a slacker, just don't call me to do another king size quilt.  Whatever was I thinking?

Oh, and just for reference here, the Mandingo inspiration


Oh, and just to show the masculine feline approval (or at least I think he approves)


Both Sides Now
Rows and flows of angel hair
And ice cream castles in the air
And feather canyons everywhere
I've looked at clouds * that way

But now they only block the sun
They rain and snow on everyone
So many things I would have done
But clouds got in my way
I've looked at clouds from both sides now

From up and down, and still somehow
It's cloud illusions I recall
I really don't know clouds at all

Moons and Junes and Ferris wheels
The dizzy dancing way you feel
As ev'ry fairy tale comes real
I've looked at love that way

But now it's just another show
You leave 'em laughing when you go
And if you care, don't let them know
Don't give yourself away

I've looked at love from both sides now
From give and take, and still somehow
It's love's illusions I recall
I really don't know love at all

Tears and fears and feeling proud
To say "I love you" right out loud
Dreams and schemes and circus crowds
I've looked at life that way

But now old friends are acting strange
They shake their heads, they say I've changed
Well something's lost, but something's gained
In living every day

I've looked at life from both sides now
From win and lose and still somehow
It's life's illusions I recall
I really don't know life at all
I've looked at life from both sides now
From up and down, and still somehow
It's life's illusions I recall
I really don't know life at all



Thank you Joni

18 comments:

  1. It's so beautiful, Mary. I love the circling peace of the front and the jagged energy of the back. It's amazing how well they work together.

    Congratulations on a giant finish. I agree that there is nothing easy about a king-size quilt, no matter how you construct it.

    And thanks for the Joni!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! Two, two, two quilts in one--and both absolutely wonderful. Yikes! Quilting a king-size. I think one of those in a lifetime is plenty. Thanks for printing Joni's words too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a brilliant quilt.
    I love both sides. Thanks for sharing the inspiration for the back.
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on a BIG accomplishment. Lately I have limited myself to quilting lap size quilts...
    ; )

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have done it again! I don't know which one I like better.. the front or the back.. Just amazing!!!
    Thanks for sharing this beautiful poem.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mary, I really love this quilt. Very much. If you don't make another king size quilt in your whole life, it won't matter, because this is "the one".
    Your work is beautiful and you are always an inspiration.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. YOU DID IT!!!! I BOW down to you, knowing just how much it took to finish this beauty. Wow!!
    How about a picture on the bed?
    O make that two pictures. One for each side.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perfect Joni Mitchell song for this gorgeous quilt! You are much braver than me, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Unbelievable! Absolutely stunning. You rock girl!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, this quilt (or should I say quilts?) is wonderful, and the fact that it is KING sized makes it even more amazing. Just lovely - and love your photography too. thanks too for the song - I read the whole thing and heard Joni singing it - one of my favorites from way back. thanks for the memory!

    ReplyDelete
  11. There's nothing like a double-sided quilt and yours is gorgeous. I also liked your tree panel and Sujata's block. It will be interesting to see what she does with hers.
    best, nadia

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! Both sides are amazing, but I think I like the Mandingo inspired side best. I am impressed that you did a king sized quilt. I don't think I will be doing one of those. The lyrics really took me back in time. I thought they were so true then, but they are more true now that I have reached a certain age. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is beautiful, what a stunning design. At first I thought it was two quilts - but a front and a back! - wow!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very inspiring! All those graphic stripes really get me going!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your quilt is wonderful, both sides are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Really lovely, and one of my favorite Joni songs, too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh Mary, I must have missed this post the other day.....I'm so in love with this quilt. It is so vibrant....I love love it. I'm not doing any king size quilts either.....they're just to much to deal with.

    ReplyDelete

Any and all comments are most appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to view, read, and voice your thoughts.