forgive my naivete

Not being a trained artist, I am constantly attempting to learn more about art, the history of art, design, all those dead artists as well as current artists.  You get the picture.  Right?
So forgive me.  I am going to just show my naivete here and now.
I have been "studying" the artists of the Bauhaus style when a thought occurred to me.
When I look at the textile artists of that school I cannot help but make this obervation beginning with the woven textiles from Africa:  





To the weavings from the Bauhaus school:

Gunta Stolzl of the Bauhous School 
Gunta Stolzl
Anni Albers
Anni Albers


To the African American quilters :


The Quilts of Gee's Bend

And other African American quilters




These may not be perfect examples, but I am going to post this anyway.  (Blogger is yet again being uncooperative with my photos)  If you have an interest, I suggest a trip to the library or book store to see what similarities you might find.  It has been fun for me.  This may be redundant to many of you.  So please remember, that I am in no way a trained artist, nor critic, but just a woman of a certain age who is enjoying some exploration. 

10 comments:

  1. Yes, I agree with you. I am very familiar with African textiles, not with Bauhaus, and like you, I see the strong influence.
    As we always say, there is nothing new under the sun. However, we all have to walk our own path, even if we know many already did it. It may happen that each one of us will find a different little stone, a hidden flower that nobody saw before. And whatever anybody did before, personal experience is always new for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't that so true, Angela. Try as I may, I can never come up with anything original. But that won't keep me from trying, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fascinating and inspiring! You've got me wanting to study these. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your post got me to look at some of the work by Gunta Stolzl. Much of it bears remarkable similarity to the work of the Gees Bend ladies and the work of Jean Wells. I am reminded of the old adage that everything old is new again sometime. As I discover different ways to put color and textures together, I am sure I create things that have been created before by someone, but they are new to me. That is what keeps me motivated everytime I go into the studio.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love those books...I have most of them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The quilts you showed are so inspiring. I agree with sujata, I could look at them forever!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like how you share your thoughts with us. And even when you knew these connections because you've studied them before, it's interesting to reflect on it from time to time. And it's a coincidence that I've also been thinking in these patterns lately...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. Wow. Again Wow. So much in those designs from the Bauhaus and so simple and elegant from the African ones. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OK, here's my take on these similar designs. They are based on weaving structures, ie warp and weft, vertical and horizontal. With simple looms one is mostly limited to lines that go up, down, and diagonally. Spots and stripes are also easy. In the Gee's Bend workshop I learned that these women tear their fabrics. I already knew that; but now I KNOW it better. Tearing produces strips of fabric that follow the weave structure.
    As for the African influence on European aesthetics; there is good documentation and evidence in the work of Matisse and Picasso. If African art influenced the Bauhaus artists, I don't know. That would be worth a little research.

    ReplyDelete

Any and all comments are most appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to view, read, and voice your thoughts.