my cinco by hand

At the tender age of 62 years +11 months, I have decided it is high time to learn a bit about hand quilting.  I have tried in the past, but never stuck with my attempts long enough to actually get the feel for it.  It seems I just did not have the required patience to practice, practice, practice.   After a few minutes of quilting, I would become frustrated because my stitches weren't blue ribbon perfect,  I became a quitter. Not a quilter.  What was I thinking? 

This is a quilt I finished a few years ago, when I was using other people's patterns.  It is Cinco de Mayo, by Karen Stone and I just loved all those happy colors and fabrics.  I did change the arrangement and made mine into a bed size quilt, as in 110" x 110".  I got it all ready to machine quilt by stitching in the ditch.  YIKES.  I do hate stitching in the ditch by machine.  And that was precisely what I felt this quilt was calling for.  So I dragged it out from under Juki, spread it out on a table in my sunroom was inspired to take needle in hand.



Yes, yes, I know, you are all saying that I have now officially lost my mind.  But you know, the mood was just right.  It is something I can sit down and relax with (or learn to relax with) and my awkward and uneven stitiches don't show up (too much) among all those  fabrics and tiny paper piecing.  I am actually becoming hooked on this process.  What is the saying about teaching old dogs new tricks?  Dog gone it!  I am not going to be an old dog yet.

Check back in with me around 2016.


17 comments:

  1. Wow - that is one smile provoking quilt! I for one do not think you are crazy, although learning hand quilting by quilting in the ditch is a little daring;) (tough on the hands)If you would be interested there is a nice way of quilting by hand demonstrated here: jeansimpressions.com - scroll down to the youtube clip. For me quilting used to be a painful business. Using Jean's method my fingers are now protected... and no, I'm not paid to say so;) Your quilt is such a beauty! U

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your setting!! This is just a fabulous rendition of Karen's design. I definitely think that you can always learn something new! Can't wait to see it in 2016!

    ReplyDelete
  3. good for you! I keep hearing that hand quilting is relaxing, but so far, I just don't feel it. Maybe the right quilt hasn't come along yet telling me it's time! I'll be watching for your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary, you absolutely never cease to amaze me! That is the most fabulous cinco de mayo I have seen and now you are going to hand quilt it????? My hat is off to you! Enjoy the quilting, I know it is such a calming, reflective activity. ox

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's beautiful! Enjoy the process. You will get better with practice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful quilt and I'm so glad you've given hand-quilting another chance - definitely worth it! and you'll get better and better too. woohoo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mary,
    This is such a gorgeous quilt! I almost passed out when I looked at all those tiny triangles set in circles. You already have a lot of patience!
    I wont be surprised if it is done by end of this year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome! I love hand quilting and it does get easier and faster. I bet it will only be 2015 by the time you get this done :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have fun with that......by the time 2016 rolls around I will be an old dog. Beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations Mary! This is the perfect project to hand quilt. You will be able to explore your work over and over again. Enjoy the journey!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations! I think you made a good decision, hand quilting is a challenge with huge rewards.
    Enjoy the journey!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is gorgeous and I commend you for hand quilting. No matter how long it takes you will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMIGOD there is HOPE. I am the tender age of 58 and 7 months and have never attempted this but always admired it. Maybe...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know what you mean about being hooked on hand-quilting. It's a gorgeous quilt, and will be even that much more of a treasured heirloom with your hand stitches. You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mary, that's a beautiful quilt. I LOVE hand-quilting and wish I had time to quilt everything that way! Right now I don't even have time to baste the quilt that's waiting to be quilted. Anyway, good luck with this and have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nothing like learning to hand quilt on a king size quilt! wowie, and such a stunner too - you have the most amazing artist's eye, I love all of your quilts. Can't wait to see this one completed - but don't rush, enjoy every stitch! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I do agree with everybody's comments here and I'm also waiting to see the result by 2016 or whenever. If you enjoy the process, quilting slowly is what gives the quilt the difference.

    ReplyDelete

Any and all comments are most appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to view, read, and voice your thoughts.