my Lantana has begun to grow

Deciding to begin with the most difficult sections seems to have been a good idea on my part.  I wanted to be certain that the teeny pieces would have the desired effect.  And be worth the effort.  Try as I might, I just could not come up with a more simple pattern.  I am certain that Ruth McDowell  could easily simplify it.  If she saw what I was doing, she would likely run screaming from her computer.  I also opted, rather than use all commercial prints, stripes, dots, etc, as I normally love doing,  it was time to cut into all those hand dyed fabrics that I created last summer. This would give a different look to the piece. 

Working on the first section, I had serious doubts.  

 
The next section, I am thinking that maybe this was not a such good pattern after all.  

 
Stressing out over values and selecting just the perfect color was another issue.  I had to constantly remind myself that I was not striving 
for a photographic image, 
but an interpretation using geometric shapes.  

(You should see all the post it notes covering the ironing surface, my machine and the design wall.  Being of a "certain" age seems to bring on a dependency on such items.)  
is that pathetic or what


A few days later and I have pressed on and I am thinking that it could be worth the effort.
So here we are.  Some on the tiny pieces have been sewn together.  Which is not what I normally do.  Since they are not much bigger than my little finger nail, I was afraid they would get lost in the shuffle.  So why not go ahead and stitch them up.  If one of these little sections doesn't look quite right, I can always remake it.   Once I have all of my small sections made, then I will sew them into larger sections.  When all the sections are sewn together, 
it  should be about 76" X 60".  
Unless . . . . . .
I only use half of the pattern for this piece and save the other half for another quilt.  
Or it could even become a triptych. 
Three small quilts rather than one large quilt.
Oh the options. 

 I am now thinking that as the larger sections are sewn together 
 Ms. Lantana  will look even better.  
Methinks that these sunny colors are just the anticdote for rainy day blues.  

I keep forgetting how nice it is to sit down and write myself right through the angst of the unknown.   Gotta put up a post-it note for that too! 


20 comments:

  1. This is looking fabulous! All those little pieces are really coming together, and I'm seeing your lantana in there! Can't wait to see what comes next?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is absolutely amazing! your patience is amazing too. I can't believe how great this is going to be. Seems the post-it notes are working. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is looking great! Keep going. It will be worth it. Love those post-its!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you create each little section, then fuse them all down together? Or do you sew them? It's great to be able to see your process from the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh...... I'm liking what I see! can't wait to see some more :)
    I put post- it -notes on everything, even my car's steering wheel!
    enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's looking amazing....that certaim age does have a way of messing with us doesn't it. I'm sure all the anxiety of the unknown will be worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looking forward to watching the progress on this piece.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my! This is wonderful! It can only get better.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am stunned by your talent. I am not worthy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! I think I would have been wondering if it was all worth it too, but looking at the last picture, it seems you certainly knew where you were going! Beautiful. I can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I cannot wait to see this finished, it will be fabulous. Where did you ever get this idea? Very very cool. Post Its are one of the best inventions in the world.
    I will be hand dyeing some fabrics once the weather get nice.....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mary,

    Like I have said before, I can not wrap my head around this process. You have a patience and vision that is mind boggling!
    Post it notes.. I need to use them!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is looking amazing, that flower is such a fabulous rendition and I can see that it's a lantana bloom. Miss Huff even. I completely am in awe of your process!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm very impressed with your patience and your sewing skills....wow!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Inspiring! I am so looking forward to where this goes, and thank you for sharing all of your process, including worries and post-it notes!

    ReplyDelete
  16. OMy...We are certainly polar opposites, and yet I still like you. Amazing. No rush but will you have this ready by Saturday?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I feel like we are all sending you encouraging postits over the internet - you are so talented AND patient too!this will be one amazing quilt! step by step, you'll get there!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Melody wants to see it Saturday!! LOL!! Gorgeous Mary!
    Now I "get" the post-its! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow....what a mamoth task. This will be amazing!

    Jacky xox

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is so amazing. I think a 12 x 12 inch block is a large project. After seeing your process I'll have to have some chocolate to recover. Looking forward to watching it as it goes and marvelling.

    ReplyDelete

Any and all comments are most appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to view, read, and voice your thoughts.