progress on other projects


I thought that I was certain as to how I wanted to quilt my posy quilt.  I had practice stitched all the ideas that I had sketched out. Got everything ready to begin the machine quilting, then as I sat down to begin, something else took control and here is what it said.  Tiny  round and oval seeds all over the quilt with ghost flowers sprouting up randomly amongst the seeds.  I generally dislike the quilting process, machine or hand, as I much prefer the design aspect.  But for some reason I have become obsessed with this one.  It has become a joy to just sit and move the needle over the fabric and see these little designs take shape.  Who woulda thunk it? 

back side

 
I love the way it looks on the back.  Using the different colors of threads to match the top fabric color gives it an interesting look, don't you think?  

There could be a hidden meaning in all this, because I do need lots of practice with my machine quilting and I had predetermined that I would be machine quilting great gran's string star repro quilt.    I want to duplicate the quilting patterns on GGM star quilt.  Perhaps by the time that I finish making thousands of tiny circles and ovals, I will, just maybe, have gotten a bit better and become a bit more patient.  Patient enough to make her proud.  Not to say that I am there yet, but who knows.  It could happen. 

the original GGM

my version ready for quilting



 My quilts are going to be featured for one week at my home town museum during their quilt show and I do want to have enough new pieces completed for the show.   So I have been plugging away  Nothing like waiting until the last minute to complete the quilting part, huh? So wish me luck.  I hope to have these both completed before mid March.  I'll let y'all know how that turns out.  Meanwhile, I better get busy........


13 comments:

  1. this is great. I love flowers and leaves in the quilting. will you post pix of the whole quilt so we can get the total effect?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary your quilting is just spectacular! I love the posies too. I am anxious to see what the finished quilt looks like..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic! And you said you weren't good at the quilting thing! Rubbish. It looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Mary! they both look amazing! super duper job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE the quilting on your posies quilt. The ghost flower look great on front and back. Your string stars quilt is great too! You've been busy! Your city is smart to feature your quilts in a show.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing quilting - what a nice complement to the flowers!
    I love your string star top too, and your plan for quilting it is impressive. Best of luck finishing lots before your exhibition!

    ; )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! You have been busy! How wonderful the stars quilt is turning out. Just beautiful. I am in awe of your machine quilting skills. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow!!! First of all.. Congratulations on the exhibit! You must be so proud! You really don't need luck. It would be so cool to see all of your quilt in one place.
    The quilting on your Posy Quilt is just fabulous. Tell me about something else takes over..Happens without us knowing it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, Mary.
    This quilting is amazing. I really love the back. I'm on the white-on-white moment now... ;) And I think randomness ads interest sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful and original quilting, Mary! As Lisa said...to say you're not good at is is rubbish!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My goodness what a blessing it is to see these beautiful quilts and your talent at color, platement (composition) and quilting! This is always a wonderful blog to visit...you inspire and make us smile

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the flowers! the quilting is gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  13. the string star top is fabulous and wheeeeee it will be gorgeous finished!

    ReplyDelete

Any and all comments are most appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to view, read, and voice your thoughts.