Binding those ties couldn't wait

 

No matter that  I had resolved that December be the month to finish all those projects that I have hanging around in my studio.  I could reduce the tension in my shoulders and neck if I would just get out those pieces that are languishing around and complete them.  I have  placed them in pretty boxes on top of the cabinets that hold my fabric stash.  My thought here:  let's make them look nice even if I can't finish them up.   I am making a bit of progress, though. And if I am not able to empty those pretty boxes, I will be able to enjoy seeing the pretty boxes.  (Is there a song in that somewhere?) So these two small ones are fini.


Look out!  Here comes a fiberliscious package of recycled shirtings fabrics from a new friend, Lee Ann.  All the way from Seattle. She was so gracious to share her wonderful fabrics.  And it seems as if she used a microscope, or maybe even ESP, and sent exactly the fabrics that I would need to make great grandma's repro quilt work.  As she says, the older, used pieces add so much.  Of course I was compelled to jump right into the this. UFO's,  get back!  Me gots a new project to begin. 

The fun part:  trying to reproduce a similar look in this new quilt.  The not so fun part:  doing all that precise piecing. The string piecing seems to be a no brainer.  However, it has been so long since I have done actual, traditional type quilt blocks, I had forgotten why I lost interest in piecing/quilting in the first place.  I just cannot seem/seam to sew a straight line.  No matter that each part of my puzzle/block appears to be precise, when I begin to sew it all together ~ %&*@*!!!%^#&##. .  Well, then, this will be the challenge for the new year.  I have committed myself to do this thing and do this thing, I will.  Isn't that the reason for steam irons? Press and stretch that sucker into shape!  Jeeze, Louise!  What would Great Grandma and Grandma say about this? And please, do not mention anything about this to Ma.  Once it is all together and quilted and washed, who will know the difference ~ right?  It is gonna be okay.  And I can still make it fun.


 great grandma's original star


TA-DA!


my repro star

9 comments:

  1. lovely things here today!! very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Voila, awesom!!! Are we not blessed to have Lee Ann in our lives!!! The leaves have such a wonderful depth and 3d perspective, beautiful!! I have projects to complete today also but instead made my fav block, wonky houses....Glad I am not the only one who puts off things!! Happy Saturday, Em

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful! I hate freaking straight seams too. I love string stars but there is definitely work, even if you opt out of the Ys just like you did. It WILL be worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did it!! That star is fabulous!! I see a few fabrics I know, but your collection is just right.

    We've got to go where the inspiration leads. Right? Eventually, you'll get tired of the stars--or done--and get back to those gorgeous leafy pieces. Wow! I am impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, Mary! Your first star block is fantastic!I am so looking forward to seeing this coming together - make more, make more! (No pressure whatsoever, no mam;) And ... what else are pretty boxes for? My resting projects are in an ugly box on the floor, so many thanks for the lovely idea! Your leaves are beautiful. I admire that you can work with the paralell mindsets of pictorial/traditional at the same time. And what a generous new friend! Una:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. love the start of this - and the contribution from LeeAnn is spot on!
    ; )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mary,

    The star is looking just like I imagine it would have been in your grandma's quilt! How many are there? I agree with Tonya..and I get tired of precise piecing even when it is relatively easy.

    You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mary, your great grandmother would be proud! What a sweet block - I know it will be part of an awesome quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. it looks great! they would be proud!

    ReplyDelete

Any and all comments are most appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to view, read, and voice your thoughts.