15 minutes of fame

Andy Warhol is credited with this statement, "In the future everyone will be famous for 15 minutes."  I am not sure that is a true statement.  However, "Thistles" and I did have a few minutes of  fame in the world of quilting.  She was awarded 2nd place  in the "Made by Machine" category at the American Quilter's Society show and contest in Knoxville, TN.  It was such an honor to walk into the show and see her hanging there with a big red ribbon.  And when other viewers noticed that my friends were taking my photograph with her, they wanted to snap a few pictures as well.  WOW - not too sure how to handle that, makes me a bit self conscious since I don't like to have my picture taken.  But, I tried to be very gracious and humble as I received many, many wonderful compliments.  Alex Anderson of  "Simply Quilts" show fame and the co-anchor of the The Quilt Show,  even said to me that she,  "really, really, no I am serious, I mean really, really, really love your quilt."  Those were her exact words.  After I got myself up from a dead faint on the floor, I blushed considerably and thanked her graciously.  I was so flustered that I am sure that I did not compliment her, but quickly fled the scene.  She was even rumored to have been seen taking photos of the quilt up close and personal.  I am quite sure that "Thistles" was blushing, too.  Of course, with all that pink, fuchsia, and purple it would be difficult to tell if you didn't know her as well as I.  Don't get me wrong, we are not complaining, but living my life in the background makes for a huge adjustment on my part.  Oh, well, maybe I could learn to adjust . . . . .   I want to thank my husband, my children, my mom and dad, my friends, the AQS . . . . .  .  is that how the typical acceptance speech goes?  
All jokes aside, it is a thrill and one that I won't forget.  Receiving such recognition encourages me to continue to do what I love to do.  Play with fabrics and my sewing machines.  Ah, life is certainly good.

12 comments:

  1. CONGRATS!!!! It is fabulous!!! Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! I didn't get to go this year-would have loved to see your quilt in person!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a beautiful quilt -- I'm not surprised it attracted so much attention. I'm glad to see that it's inspiring you to continue on your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fabulous accomplishment, congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! I enjoyed helping to hang your beautiful quilt at the show.- Sylvia, Admin. Assistant

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! What an honor. Your quilts are beautiful. You are quite an artist!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mary!!!
    I guess I have missed a few days of reading!
    Congratulations on your ribbon! What a great accomplishment! Wow! That has to be an experience of the lifetime. I love your quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  8. congrats, the quilt is amazing. JUST BEAUTIFUL I am not surprised everyone was complimenting you! well deserved.
    thanks for sharing the picture with us.
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG!!! That quilt is SPECTACULAR!!!! Congratulations on a well deserved win!

    I am so glad you came by my little corner of the net cause it led me to find your blog.
    Gotta go read some more

    ReplyDelete
  10. Was pleased to visit your blog. Until new appointments
    Jonas

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations, Mary! And don't be self-conscious, the quilt is beautiful, but you glow. Did you intentionally dress that way? Your clothes sure match the quilt. I am proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm having fun sitting here going through your blog to see all your fabulous designs and quilts you have produced. Well I have to agree with Alex.....that is some beautiful quilt. congratulations and then you became a cover girl with it too.

    Congrats :0)

    ReplyDelete

Any and all comments are most appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to view, read, and voice your thoughts.