fiberliscious

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

next up


This is a top that I made in preparation for a workshop with Ruth B McDowell in 2009.  I wasn't happy with the composition, so it never got quilted.  However, for several reasons that I won't mention just yet, it is time to become a real quilt.  

Yet, it will have to linger a bit longer, as I am off to the great north west to visit friends in Seattle and my daughter in Portland.  Got my bags pack and early to bed, since I'll be getting up in the wee hours of the morning to catch my flight.  I will tell all when I return.
 I am soooooooooooooooo excited.  

Monday, April 7, 2014

made my day in such a good way

It has been several years since I have entered any of my quilts into national shows.  However, the quilts are stacking up around here, so it was time to get them out in public again.  I entered a couple of quilts into the Mancuso's Quiltfest Destination Savannah.  I was delighted to have them accepted into the show and was even more delighted when they safely returned  to me along with nice compliments from the judges.  Opening the box and unwrapping the quilts, I was thrilled to discover a blue ribbon for 
Best Use of Color in the Innovative category.  

I blogged about her creation, but never added a photo once I had, at last, completed quilting her.  Introducing a completed Ms. Lantana 

54" x 70"
hand dyed and commercial fabrics
machine pieced and quilted



Thursday, April 3, 2014

Sunday, March 30, 2014

And More Progress

Bicycle 101
pieced and ready to quilt
@ 30 x 36


I had this next piece hanging on my design wall since August 2013.  It was done during a workshop with Elizabeth Barton at Arrowmont.  Elizabeth graciously complimented the composition, but all I kept seeing was the big CBS eye.  It began to make be a big crazy, as it stared at me day in and day out on the wall.  A few days ago, as I was cleaning up some the the piles of fabric from a project, I decided that I was tired of it's glare.  And I had exhausted all ideas of what to do with it.  This thing had become an intrusive monster.  I snatched it from the wall and hacked it up with my rotary cutter. There! I said as I tossed the pieces into the trash and went back to my cleaning.  Feeling much more relaxed.  



However, those pieces were still wimpering for help the next day.  I reluctantly salvaged  them from the trash and began to play with them again.  The results were very pleasing to my eye, and as it hangs on the wall today, I am at piece with it's rebirth.  

eye to eye
@ 20" x 28"


Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Progress

Working with my hand dyed fabrics, choosing colors and shading


Coming along, with a change here and there


All pieces cut and pinned on the design wall.
Well, almost all.  
Now to allow the bicycle to hang around while I mull over any changes that might need to be made.  Once I have decided that this is as good as it's gonna get, then on to piecing.  

Meanwhile, I have had interludes of quilting &
finished quilting the peacock.
Evie's peacock.
50" x 60" 



Now to finish quilting the nephew and bride quilt.  AKA, "Flight Patterns"