The Real Deal

My friend Laura and her hubby enjoy auctions.  
They always finds the BEST DEALS ever.  
Check out this beauty.  I feel certain that it is of African American origin from Tennessee.  Or at least one of  our bordering states.  It is made from ginghams, chambrays, corduroy, twills, wool tweeds & plaids, florals to mention a few.  I was immediately in love with this quilt ~ wonderful soft colors and great graphics.  
The backing is a ticking stripe and it is quilted, quite nicely,
in the traditional Baptist Fan pattern.  
Although it has been patched here and there, it is none the worse for wear, considering that it must have been a utilitarian quilt used every night. Laura and Steve graciously allowed me to share this beauty.  I hope that everyone enjoys it as much as I.  And of course, it is on my list to reproduce.  







And while I am on the topic, I wanted to share another local African American quilt which was shown in the local museum quilt show a couple of years ago.   This one, also, is on my list to reproduce.  Isn't it lovely?


Hope y'all have a wonderful week, full of great deals.

13 comments:

  1. I really like the touches of black, it gives it a lot of interest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great quilts...I especially love the second one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOOOOO, I want to crawl underneath the black patched quilt and cuddle! That quilt with the orange is stunning! Wow, great finds!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi ,I have been making quilts similar to this for several years . I call them cottage quilts .People do like them , being English we are into cottage style .
    If you have time take a look at my blog where there is one in the making , I have finished it now .
    Love the ones you are showing

    ReplyDelete
  5. I make quilts in this style and call them cottage quilts .If you have time take a look at my site where you will find one in progress that is now finished.
    i love your snow on the ceders and the one draped on the bookcase .
    Have you looked at the site of http://bumblebeansinc.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are two beauties- and with quite different temperaments! Love the dramatic orange color and how it brings the second quilt to life. Very powerful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both jaw-dropping, especially that first one. Great inspiration. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like black too. And how nice is the quilting. The "old style", isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love them both. I am inspired to pull out my plaids and large florals!
    They look as if they would be very soft. I want one of these!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely quilts, and both look so contemporary! Neither as amazing as 'thistles' below, though. A richly deserved cover!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a n interesting way to use solids and checks. Love the irregular widths of strips. Looks very Today!

    ReplyDelete
  12. love them! that first one especially. gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't know how old that quilt is, but it really appeals to me (the first one) and seems like a very modern design, doesn't it? I think I may have to reproduce that one myself.

    ReplyDelete

Any and all comments are most appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to view, read, and voice your thoughts.