the Nancy Crow workshop at Shakerag continues

Let's see, I left off with my first composition.  A dud.  I am considering doing a bit of slicing and dicing with it and see what happens.  I have never done that before.  Once I finish piecing, it is usually over for me.  But what would happen if I restructure it?  m-mmm


Many of the ladies in the workshop produced some terrific pieces.  Naturally I didn't think to ask permission from most of them to post pictures on my blog.  But Karen obliged and here she is with her first composition. 


Sorry about the blurry pic, Karen. I think my hands were weak
with fatigue when I took this one)  

                                            
Note that she is sitting rather than standing by her quilt.  
We were already pretty tired by day two.  

Here is a much better shot
And it is oh so much better to see it in person.  


So, Karen hung in there and was one of the few that actually had her composition completed and partially sewn together by the end of day 5.

 Notice that she is now gleefully standing.  Nancy really, really liked Karen's composition and even helped her start sewing it together.   A little adrenalin rush happening here, maybe?

Karen is an expert seamstress, sewing and designing couture clothing, dyeing exquisite silk scarves and fabrics, but she doesn't do a lot of quilting.  She does know a lot about art and can critique with the best of 'em.  She has a great eye for design and color.  Nancy saw a huge potential in her and encouraged her to also go home and make a quilt per week.  Karen was brave enough to request a week off for Christmas, but I never did hear Nancy approve of that.  Nancy sorta put me in charge of staying on her back to continue with this.  Since we live in the same town, watch out Karen, I am gonna be checking in every week.  And calling for you to HELP! me.  

Another amazing lady in our class was Frances.  From Franklin, TN , she is 86 years young, has dyslexia, (which prevented from attending school as a young girl), now has double vision and has recently retired from her late in life career as a "dec -a -raata"  aka, interior decorator. She would climb up in her chair to pin things on her design wall, refusing assistance from anyone for anything, she was always there early and went home late.  To have a meal with her was an entertainment of the lifetime.  Oh, the stories she could tell in her genteel, southern manner.  Twinkling blue eyes, a cute wink and a nod, you are never certain if you should believe everything she told us.  The fact that (she says lightly) some movie star, what's her name that married some ole country singer, lives in her nearby her,  makes me think that she is not easily impressed and has lived a full life indeed.  


Frances brought her stash of home decor fabrics to use for her composition, as she was quite revolted with those loud (bright) cula's (colors) that some of us were using.  Nancy sent her over to see my stash and get something to brighten up her composition.  She meandered over, whispered to me, "what does she mean by bright colors?  Is she talking about that horrid orange?' pointing to the orange hand dyes on my wall.  When I confirmed this and then politely suggested perhaps a hot pink, she threw her hands up and said "phewy!"  As you can see, Frances does things her way.  

As for me, I am about to catch up on my rest and recovering from a nasty sinus and ear infection, sore throat, the CRUD as we call it down here.  But I am ready to grab my rotary cutter and start slashing this afternoon. More details will be trickling in.  Stay tuned.  

8 comments:

  1. Love your stories! Two more talented quilt makers here. I can't imagine there were any bad quilts in the bunch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing better than a class with Nancy and all the inspirational new friends that you meet at one of her workshops! You have survived and now look at things differently whether you made a "good one"' or not. It's what you take away from it and process for a long time to come.

    Rest up and feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen's work looks like it was inspired by Klimt. It is gorgeous. Being in a class, working in a group is so enriching. You are not only learning from the teacher but also being inspired by your fellow students. Hope you are feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was not a dud...send it my way!

    She wants a quilt a week? Not quilted I hope. I guess if I did nothing else at all I might be able to do that...

    Frances looks like a lot of fun. It is good to have some one who is not "impressed" in with the group. It keeps things light and interesting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary won't mention this - but she shifted from "well-prepared student" to "respected artist" after Nancy saw her quilts during our Show and Tell. Nancy was very impressed with Mary's quilts and her advice was for Mary to go home and continue working in her own style and expand it even more. Since you read this blog you realize how wonderful Mary's work is. So now she and I can nag each other to keep working!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like great fun. I would have loved Frances and Karen sounds wonderful. I see from Karen's comments that you received some nice encouragement too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have you recovered?
    I'm glad I did not go I'm not up to keeping up with an 86 year old!
    You are not the only person I heard say this workshop really kicked their butt!
    Well I guess you got your monies worth huh?

    I've got the crud now and it is taking it's own sweet time to moving on!

    Happy Sewing

    ReplyDelete
  8. Frances is a hoot and I laughed out loud at your post. Glad you had a great time and Nancy spotted your talent!

    P.S. Elvis Costello was in England with the two children, celebrating their Nana's 85th birthday.

    ReplyDelete

Any and all comments are most appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to view, read, and voice your thoughts.