TO THINE OWN SELF BE TRUE

Once upon a time 
there was a young, innocent, country girl who loved to play along the fence rows and road sides where wildflowers grew in abundance  Having no playmates, she made friends with all the lovelies that nature had to offer. Acorns were her best buddies, always tucked away in the pockets of her clothes. Daisies were woven into delicate crowns to top her head.   


 


Queen Anne's lace made wonderful chains to circle her waist.  



Gathering many other beauties along the fields and dusty roadsides, the young girl scattered the seeds of all of her lovelies in her ma's well manicured yard, 
much to ma's dismay.      
Ma explained that these were weeds, and would just take over her lovely flower bed, turning it into ruins. The young girl was so dismayed to hear that all of her lovelies were considered to be undesirables.  Even though she could not understand why they were thought to be inferior to ma's iris, roses, lilies and jonquils, she obeyed her ma and learned to appreciate the right and proper ways of life.  She grew in to a woman and always tried to remembered  the rules as her ma had taught her.
Many, many years later, the woman remembered her love for the simple, road side lovelies where she spent many happy days in her daydreams.   So she decided there and then, it was time to find that openness and idyllic playfulness of her youth.  Disregarding all of the rules of prim and proper ways,  she once again let her imagination guide her. Playing with fabrics, she made a not so prim and proper quilt.  It began with free form log cabin blocks in mostly solid colors.  That still didn't make her happy. 






Where upon she decided to grab her scissors and cut lots of  
free form flowers which she randomly stitched onto the top of the quilt with wild free motion zig zag stitches.  If the fabric frayed a bit, all the better, she decided.  And continuing along with the idea, she created many more free pieced flowers stitched in colors to rival Joseph's multi-colored robe.    


Multiple leaves of all shapes and sizes were added to the mix.   




 Lots of freely pieced blocks bordered the quilt in fence row style. 
And all along the border the quilting will be sticks and blocks of all shapes and sizes. 




 Finally after days of play, the ole girl, deciding that the plain ole log cabin blocks were covered with enough colorful posies, it was time to quilt it.    She decided to cover the quilt with hundreds of quilted seeds with sprinklings of posey shadows.  







  The old girl was, at long last, free to be what she wants to be.  
The moral of this story is ?


Time to play some more


So many ideas, so little time

34 comments:

  1. Amen to this, Mary! I love this post and your quilt is extravagantly, heavenly wonderful. Play away!

    ReplyDelete
  2. woohoo, wonderful fabulous playful energetic lively. way to go! very free. I'd love to see this one up close some day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful post Mary - and even more beautiful quilt. Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had fun watching this quilt grow and it looks fabulous finished. I'm with Tonya: when can we come by and see it? how far do you live from Winnipeg? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful post and gorgeous quilt!, I LOVE all those wild colors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brilliant post! This is an incredible quilt. I absolutely love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is insane! and beautiful! and I wish I had time to make one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don´t know whether I love the story or the quilt more. I love them both. You are always an inspiration. Thanks for this beautiful and moving post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's wonderful to have so many ideas...I hope you never run out of them, keep playing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Какое уютное и домашнее одеяло! Идея - супер!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this quilt so much and though it looks fab out in the woods, still not as beautiful as on the wall of your wonderful house...a great narrative Mary...and the quilting is inspired

    ReplyDelete
  12. A beautiful story to go with a gorgeous quilt! So glad you are playing and inspiring us all to play some more.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful words. Beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful story behind the happy quilt. It's so unique and playful! Thank you for the inspiration to play more...

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the story and love the quilt. Always make it yours!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a lovely story! I think that quilt was the one that caught my eye and led me to your blog! I can't wait to see what you are working on now....

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh Man - just spent a bunch of time on the internet looking for the perfect quote that enmeshes with your lovely story - Fail. Will send it to you if I ever find it :) Fabulous quilt! You go Girl! I'm leaving for the Barn and Nancy Crow next Friday - will report back. Love, Jane

    ReplyDelete
  18. Once again. Absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh Mary! I love your story! Please write more, create more.. You always inspire me.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the story and this GORGEOUS quilt!!! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your quilt is inspiring and beautiful! I love the story too, and daisies are one of my favourites, along with Queen Anne's Lace and when they find there way into my flower garden for a season or two I make everything else move over.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love your story, and your quilt just knocks my socks off! It is incredibly gorgeous! I too would love to see this beauty up close.

    Keep on playing! You inspire many people!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your quilt makes me smile. I love quilts that just shout "Be happy!" Beautiful job.

    ReplyDelete
  25. your playful quilt made my day! i almost didn't notice the drizzly clouds overhead any longer! loved the story that went along with the joyous cloth as well!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love the quilt, and the story!

    ReplyDelete
  27. ahhhhh, that beauty.... My favorite quilt ever.... Happy PLaying!

    ReplyDelete
  28. This one made me gasp! It is wonderful. So free and natural, just like the weeds that grow in MY garden:-) I love the spontaneity of it. Isn't it wonderful how such a quilt can grow when you let it.

    ReplyDelete
  29. love this!
    were these the flowers you were making in Alabama? this quilt is beautiful.

    Happy Sewing

    ReplyDelete
  30. Lovely and inspirational post, Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow this is a beautiful quilt! I love love love your blog. You are so very talented!

    ReplyDelete
  32. This flower quilt must be one of the most beautiful quilts ever.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I, too, have always obeyed the rules growing up, as my mother always told to 'be good'. I like wonky blocks for this very reason! Just like you, i feel free and a little rebellious when I make wonky quilts! Your quilt is superb! I will try my hand at making those flowers.
    P.S. I never tell my kids to 'be good'! I tell them to have fun and be safe!

    ReplyDelete

Any and all comments are most appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to view, read, and voice your thoughts.