Spring has sprung

Or is it summer in disguise?  Down south we have had record high temps.  Whew!  Need I say that I am not ready for summer?  What happened to spring?  The dogwoods and iris are in full bloom. Gloriously.
I am stuck with my latest geometric triangular design. So why not go with the flow?
Taking pictures of the prolific dogwood blossoms and giant white iris blooms, I have left those geos in the dust/mud and felt compelled to create new textile art/fiber art/quilt from my pictures of the exquisite deep pink dogwood tree in my backyard.


Taking multiple photos of all the dogwoods, pink and white, I quickly settled on the composition of the white dogwood.  However, not wanting to do another white bloom, I used this photo as my design, using pink as the color of the blooms.

Okay, so I know that they are totally different botanical configurations, but this composition just spoke to me.  Hello.  Use me.  But make me pink.  Call it artistic license.  Does that work for you?  Hey, it is working for me, at any rate.  Here is where it has gotten me thus far.  

the pattern:



day 3:

Just know that these are simply pieces of fabric pinned to my design wall and not sewn together.  Subject to change at my whim.  They are not my usual colors of choice.  But I am liking the pink (okay I have begun a new love affair with pink) and the blue greens, which seem to play well.

I am off and running again with my fav.  
I can't wait for tomorrow.

12 comments:

  1. I am so impressed with everything you are doing. I am currently in Northern Virginia and enjoying the Red Buds and the Dogwoods, two of my favorite trees. Your piece is going to be beautiful. Thank you for sharing your process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It works for me! They're both varieties of Cornus florida, I think, so not so botanically distinct.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to get inside your head, sit there and listen to your thoughts and watch your hands play! It is amazing how quickly you can put them together. You make it look as easy as one, two, three.
    I am inspired. Happy Spring to you, my friend!
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ESTOU em formigamento...o que é isso?Peças lindas e muuuito talento,parabéns!FELIZ PÁSCOA!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, I love seeing another one of your flower portraits shaping up! The colors and those beautiful hand-dyed fabrics look just fabulous! Can't wait to see your dogwoods soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. it's amazing how the black and brown stems pop it...very cool...

    ReplyDelete
  7. ooh, looks gorgeous, Mary! I love how you say you can't wait for tomorrow - what a great feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bea-u-ti-FUL! Waiting with baited breath... :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE your sketch! And your fabric is soooo pretty. Maybe sometime you would publish one of your smaller patterns?
    Have fun doing what you love!
    ; )

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! You never seise to amaze me! I love seeing how you move from nature to design, to quilt. Just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pretty fantastic. Could you maybe say what size it is? Isn't it wonderful when a project is going well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. since Sheila77 asked the size question, I thought I would just say to all, it is approximately 36" x 54", thus far.
    Thanks again to you all

    ReplyDelete

Any and all comments are most appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to view, read, and voice your thoughts.